My Lord,

You will perhaps wonder that an obscure person, who has not the
honour to be known to your lordship, should presume to address you
in this manner. But that a man who has written something with a design
to promote Useful Knowledge and Religion in the world should make
choice of your lordship for his patron, will not be thought strange by
any one that is not altogether unacquainted with the present state
of the church and learning, and consequently ignorant how great an
ornament and support you are to both. Yet, nothing could have
induced me to make you this present of my poor endeavours, were I
not encouraged by that candour and native goodness which is so
bright a part in your lordship's character. I might add, my lord, that
the extraordinary favour and bounty you have been pleased to show
towards our Society gave me hopes you would not be unwilling to
countenance the studies of one of its members. These considerations
determined me to lay this treatise at your lordship's feet, and the
rather because I was ambitious to have it known that I am with the
truest and most profound respect, on account of that learning and
virtue which the world so justly admires in your lordship,
MY LORD,
Your lordship's most humble
and most devoted servant,
GEORGE BERKELEY

No comments: